Tortilla Flat, Arizona. “The friendliest little town in Arizona.” Tortilla Flat is presumed to be Arizona’s smallest official “community” having a U.S. Post Office and voter’s precinct. The town has a population of 6. Source: Tortilla Flat
Cleator, Arizona. Cleator is a ghost town in Yavapai County. Cleator was established in 1864 as a gold mining site under the name Turkey Creek Mining District. A post office was established at Turkey Creek in July 1869 but closed within three months.
Turkey Creek was renamed Cleator in 1925 after James P. Cleator took possession of the town from Levrett P. Nellis. He then named the post office after himself. The post office closed July 15, 1954.
Cleator’s population fell in the 1920s as mining in the area declined and the town was put up for sale by James Cleator in April 1949. It then had about 60 residents. James P. Cleator’s son Thomas bought the town and lived there until his death in 1996. He kept the small bar open most of the years he lived there. After his death everything was inherited by his sister Eleanor and her son. The bar is still open and a favorite stop along the dusty road for recreational ATV drivers and weekend tourists.
Several original buildings remain and are occupied. Source: Wikipedia
Rock Springs, Arizona. Rock Springs has a long and colorful history as an Indian encampment, stage stop and watering hole for miners, drovers and sheephearders.
The first commercial use of the property was in 1920 when Ben Warner, built a canvas covered store during the time the adobe blocks for the new Hotel and General Store were made. This opened in 1924. The hotel housed some notable people as well as provided comfort to those traveling to the gold and silver mines in the Bradshaw Mountains. Jean Harlow was a guest at the hotel. The Goldwater Family, including Senator Barry Goldwater, were frequent visitors stopping to rest and savor some of Rock Springs’ famous blackberry pie. Source: Rock Springs Cafe Menu
Cave Creek, Arizona. If it happens in Cave Creek, it happens at Harold’s. Johnny Walker opened the Corral Bar in 1935 to serve the workers who were building Bartlett Dam. It became Harold’s Cave Creek Corral in 1950 when local character Harold Gavagan purchased it. It has spawned a million crazy stories – from lions and tigers caged in the back to Harold himself along with his flamboyant friends, movie stars, (real) cowboys and other colorful characters. Gavagan’s flamboyant ways helped to turn it into the local landmark that it is today. Source: Harold’s Corral
Cave Creek, Arizona. The Horny Toad restaurant is the oldest, original restaurant in Cave Creek and has been the location for many “Old West” movies and photo shoots. Enjoy the beauty of the Sonoran desert as you dine from the expanded patio or experience the multiple interior dining rooms and Saloon. Live entertainment and music is offered seasonally for those who want to kick their heels up. Source: The Horny Toad
Lake Pleasant, Arizona. WILD HORSE WEST, “where the burgers are the best” is located approximately three miles from Lake Pleasant on the south east corner of Carefree Highway and Lake Pleasant RD (99th Ave). You can’t miss it! Definitely Worth the drive. Fun for the whole family. Full bar, inside and outside dinning, big screen TV, pool table, jukebox and a general store with bait, tackle, beer, soda, snacks and supplies for the lake. Centrally located in a heaven of outdoor activity ATV hotspots, glider rides, fishing and boating at Lake Pleasant. Source: WildHorseWest.com
Contrary to their website, the website and sign are all that remain at this time. There are a lot of great memories from that corner.
Phoenix, Arizona. 1502 Grand Avenue, just north of Roosevelt. Actually opens at 3:00 p.m. Check out their website for the latest information, click here.
Goodyear, Arizona. Located in the far reaches of the West Valley, legions of laid-back folks in cowboy gear gather at Roman’s for the delicious down-home grub (try the chili) and live country music or classic rock on weekend evenings. There’s also karaoke four nights a week, from Thursday through Sunday, and (kiss my grits!) never a cover. This expansive country bunker features four rooms filled with multiple bars, dance floors, pool tables, shuffleboard, and video games. Plus, the barkeeps and waitstaff are always loads of fun, patrons get their kicks posing with an Elvis Presley statue in one corner, and the popcorn is always free. Source: The New Times
Quartzsite, Arizona. Al Madden, who had an investment company in California, worked on a gold mine venture for clients in Quartzite, Arizona during the 1970’s. Although this business venture was not successful, Al spent a lot of time in Quartzite, and had noticed that the local beer bar, The Jigsaw, was for sale. It was a little building made of gray cement blocks, and as it looked on the outside, so it looked on the inside – not very appealing! However, Al must have seen some potential that others had missed and he bought it anyway with the help of his sons and family.
Al had always been gifted with humor, wit and an active imagination. He decided to have some fun and changed the name to “The Yacht Club” with the motto “Welcome aboard – long time no sea!” To get the ball rolling, Al sold memberships in the Yacht Club to any qualified visitors (in those days you needed $10.00 to qualify), and lo and behold, he became an instant Commodore. Source: Quartzsite Yacht Club
Ash Fork, Arizona.